DEFINITION OF PURPOSE:
The fundamental reason for existence beyond just making a profit. Collins and Porras
- Purpose is the fundamental reason for being in business beyond just making a profit.
It is what we aspire to become, to achieve, to create.
- Core Purpose is important for guiding and inspiring the organization, it is also more difficult to identify than Core Values.
- Purpose reflects the importance people attach to the company’s work—it taps into their idealistic motivations—rather than just describing the organization’s output or target customers.
- Purpose should not be confused with specific goals or business strategies. Whereas you may achieve a goal or complete a strategy, you cannot fulfill a purpose; it’s like a guiding star on the horizon—forever pursued, but never reached.
- While purpose does not itself change, it does inspire change. The very fact that purpose can never be fully realized means that an organization can never stop stimulating change and progress in order to live more fully to its purpose.